Rev. Dr. A. A. Obe (JP)
February 5, 2023
PRESSING FORWARD WITH THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST
THEME: PRESSING FORWARD WITH THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST
Text: Acts 1:8; John 9:1-5
TOPIC: Preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ
Acts 1:8 – 8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
John 9:1-5 – 9 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? 3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. 4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. 5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.
1. To deliver a sermon
2. To urge acceptance or abandonment of an idea or course of action
3. To exhort in an officious or tiresome manner
4. To set forth in a sermon
5. Preach the gospel
6. To advocate earnestly
1. Preaching is the act of proclamation. In the life of the Church, the preacher preaches the Bible. Taken from specific terms found in the Bible, preaching has the goal of heralding the truth of God’s Word.
2. Preaching has also been defined as, “the authoritative proclamation of the Word of the living God by living men of God in God’s ordained manner of moving people to Christ and salvation and on eternal life” (Romans 10:14-17).
There is a problem in Churches today. This problem is twofold:
(1) Lack of preaching from God’s pulpits and
(2) Lack of preaching from God’s people
God is looking for both me and you to reach out to the people and save some
How to preach the gospel:
1. You preach with a saved heart
2. You preach with an open heart
3. You preach base on the scripture
4. You preach from your “salvational” experience
5. Base on the knowledge of things to come.
Why I must preach the Gospel:
1. Because men are lost. Romans 3:23 – “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God”
2. The world needs the Saviour (Jesus Christ). Luke 19:10 – “For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost”.
3. Because it is a must for all to believe. Matthew 28:19-20 – 19“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen”.
4. Because it will depopulate hell and the kingdom of God will expand. John 1:12-13 –
“But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.”
5. Because it affirms your salvation and strengthen it. (We are saved to save others).
Romans 10:17 – “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
Proverbs 12:30 – “The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.”
There is a major problem in Churches today. That problem is the lack of the preaching of God’s word.
The great Apostle Paul admonished the younger preacher Timothy to “Preach the word …” – II Timothy 4:2.
Romans 15:4 tell us, “For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.”
The Bible is given as an example and for the learning of all Christians. It teaches us we should all be bold in our witness for the Lord and in our preaching of the Word of God.
“And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness” – Acts 4:31.
As I said, earlier, there is a problem in Churches today. This problem is twofold: (1) lack of preaching from God’s pulpits and (2) lack of preaching from God’s people.
The first problem is the reason for the second problem. Preaching is God’s method of delivering the Gospel.
1 Corinthians 1:21: “For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.”
Titus 1:3a: “But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching…”
Brethren please help me answer these questions:
1. When last did you preach the gospel to others?
2. Are you not one of those delaying the coming of the Lord?
Remember, YOU ARE SAVED TO SAVE OTHERS.
3. Are you saved?
If yes, then why can’t you preach the gospel to the dying would.
Rev. Dr. A.A Obe