Rev. Dr. A. A. Obe (JP)
August 14, 2022
TEXT: Psalm 77:1-20; Matthew 11:28-30; 1Peter 5:7-11.
1. Depression is a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest in many things even the things of God.
2. A deep sense of despondency, discouragement and sadness, often linked with a sense of personal powerlessness and a loss of meaning in and enthusiasm for life.
3. When you become discourage and loses hope concerning life, your service to God and you are even thinking of taking your own life.
When you’re dealing with depression, it can sometimes be overwhelming or intimidating to seek help. After all, not everyone who has depression has the same symptoms. Whether you’re experiencing sadness a loss of interest in life, or noticing changes in your sleep, appetite, or energy levels, be honest and open about it in prayer and seeking spiritual help.
Note this depression if not settled and settled on time can lead to bigger problems and even death.
I. Causes of depression
1. Unsettled home
2. Financial crisis or problems
3. Marital issues both as married person or while believing God for marriage.
4. When you fill cheated or backstabbed
5. When you have unresolved sin
6. When you don’t have time for God and His work anymore.
II. What happens when we are depressed? Psalm 77
1. It will overwhelm our spirit. Vs 3 (3 I remembered you, God, and I groaned;
I meditated, and my spirit grew faint.[b])
2. It will awake our memory. Vs 6 (6 I remembered my songs in the night.
My heart meditated and my spirit asked:)
3. It will Rob us of sleep. Vs 4a (4aYou kept my eyes from closing;)
4. It can seal our lips. Vs 4b (4bI was too troubled to speak.)
III. Solutions to depression
Try and admit that you are depressed and speak out on time. Psalm 77:10; 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
Psalm 77:10 (10 Then I thought, “To this I will appeal:
the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand.)
2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.)
Try and seek God’s help in prayers. Psalm 77:13,19; Matthew 6:6; Acts 4:33; Matthew 18: 19-20
Psalm 77:13,19 (13 Your ways, God, are holy.
What god is as great as our God?
19 Your path led through the sea,
your way through the mighty waters,
though your footprints were not seen.)
Matthew 18: 19-20 (19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.)
Encourage yourself in the Lord. Psalm 77:10-12; 1Samuel 30:6
Psalm 77:10-12 (10 Then I thought, “To this I will appeal:
the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand.
11 I will remember the deeds of the Lord;
yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
12 I will consider all your works)
1Samuel 30:6 (6 And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the Lord his God.)
4. Then share your testimony to others of the goodness of God. Psalm 77:12 (12 I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.”)
Conclusion: Practical examples
Judas – Depression led him to hang himself. Matthew 27: 3-5 (3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, 4 Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that. 5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.)
Samson – Depression led him to die with his enemies. Judges 16:28-30 (28 And Samson called unto the Lord, and said, O Lord God, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes. 29 And Samson took hold of the two middle pillars upon which the house stood, and on which it was borne up, of the one with his right hand, and of the other with his left. 30 And Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that were therein. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life.)
Ahithophel – Depression led him to hang himself. 2 Samuel 17:23 (23 And when Ahithophel saw that his counsel was not followed, he saddled his ass, and arose, and gat him home to his house, to his city, and put his household in order, and hanged himself, and died, and was buried in the sepulchre of his father.)
Elijah – Depression led him to run from Jezebel. 1 Kings 19:1-16
1. You dark shadow of the soul, clear away by the blood of Jesus.
2. Power of heavy heart, lose your hold upon my life in the name of Jesus.
3. Power of heaviness, be dismantled from my soul in the name of Jesus.
4. Let the garment of praise replace the spirit of heaviness in my life in Jesus’ name.
5. Holy Ghost fire, melt away every darkness of heaviness in my soul, in the name of Jesus.
6. I release myself from the power of discouragement in the name of Jesus.
7. Power of God, move my life from strength to strength and from glory to glory in Jesus’ name.
8. I reject every oppressive spirit hanging on my soul, in the name of Jesus.
9. There shall be no more heaviness for my soul in Jesus’ name.
10. Let the spirit of heaviness loss its grip upon my spirit man, in the name of Jesus.
11. I bind and cast out every spirit of depression from my life in the name of Jesus.
12. Fire of God, burn to ashes every garment of heaviness, in the name of Jesus.
13. I pull down every masked personality working against my happiness, in the name of Jesus.
14. Every power militating against my joy, die immediately in the name of Jesus.
15. I bind and cast out every enemy of my full-scale laughter, in the name of Jesus.
16. I rise above every evil hand pointing at my joy, in Jesus’ name.
17. Every spider of darkness enclosing my heart, clear away by fire in the name of Jesus.
18. I dismantle every chain of darkness arresting my freedom in the name of Jesus.
19. Every thief that has been stealing from me, lose your power in the name of Jesus.
20. I bury forever every yoke of heaviness, in the name of Jesus.
21. I drink from the well of salvation in the name of Jesus.
22. I refuse to be enslaved by the spirit of heaviness in the name of Jesus.
23. Every power working against my mental health, be dismantled in the name of Jesus.
24. Every burden of darkness enclosing my soul, clear away now, in the mighty name of Jesus.