Rev. Dr. A. A. Obe (JP)
August 7, 2022
TOPIC: THE IMPORTANCE OF CHURCH PLANTING
TEXT: Matthew 16:13-19; 28:18-20; Acts 2:40-42
1. Church planting is the establishing of an organized body of believers in a new location. The process of church planting involves evangelism and the discipleship of new believers.
2. The opening of a new Church or denomination in a new location. Following the process of evangelism, follow up and visitation.
3. This is when a local Church or denomination decides to start a new Church work in a new location, or an environment. This is done in other to expand the Kingdom work.
4. Church planting is a process that results in a new Christian Church being established. It should be distinguished from Church development, where a new service, new worship centre or fresh expression is created that is integrated into an already established congregation. For a local Church to be planted, it must eventually have a separate life of its own and be able to function without its parent body, even if it continues to stay in relationship with the denomination.
What to note:
1. Church planting is Biblical: Matthew16:18
At the heart of Jesus’ Great Commission (Matt. 28:18-20) is His desire for His followers to make disciples of all nations. We see in Acts 2 that 3,000 people came to faith, and they began to gather as the Church (Acts 2:42-46). By the time we get to Acts 13, we see the Church of Antioch sending Paul and Barnabas to the cities in the Mediterranean region for the purpose of Evangelistic Church planting.
2. Church planting is carried out by existing Churches:
Without an existing church who carries the burden of Church planting making it become healthier, there will be no sustainable Church planting movement. Existing Church Members become focus and stronger when they embark on the work of Church Planting.
3. Church planting expands the Kingdom:
As new Churches are planted in a variety of communities, they tend to reach those who are in that community. Those that cannot go to an existing Church because of the distance, and those that are living in those areas who needs the Gospel. New Churches can reach many different people as they meet in many locations.
4. New Churches baptize more people:
When a new church is planted by the help of the Holy Spirit, it attracts new members. As they come and join the Church, they are taught and are baptized. Acts 2:41
5. Church planting involves more people in missions:
By focusing on church planting, individual congregations can become involved in missions. Regardless of the size or finance. Members can have a sense of focus and members become active in missions and very committed in Church plant.
6. Church planting is a way in which God blesses His church and the membership.
When an existing local Church embarks on Church planting, God begins to bless that Church and the entire membership in all things.
Why church planting?
1. Because the Gospel is important: God’s plan has always been to display the Gospel through His church. Ephesians 3:8-11
2. Because souls are important (Jesus died for the world) Matthew 9:36 -38 – to send out workers into His harvest.
3. Because the Great Commission is important (Church planting is important because community is important to the Great Commission. Church planting is not just about evangelism; it’s also about discipleship. And discipleship is best fostered within the context of community). Matthew 28:18-20
4. Because the Bible is important: The first question to ask is not whether church planting is pragmatically the best way to advance the gospel and accomplish the Great Commission, but rather, “Is it biblical?” Church planting is important because God’s way of accomplishing God’s work is better than your way. One of the best ways we see this in Scripture is the example of the Church at Antioch in Acts 11. Here we see the gospel planted in a community by a team from Cyprus and Cyrene that results in a Church where they are first called Christians. Acts 13:2–3
5. Because the time is important: Never will it be easier to share the Gospel than it is right now. Planting the gospel and starting new Churches will only get increasingly more difficult in the days ahead. Hebrews 10:24-25
6. It helps to create the atmosphere for Prayer: Church planting creates an atmosphere for Prayer, every member get involved in prayers and spirituality becomes a way of life.
7. Because it helps to demonstrate the power of God: Naturally signs and wonders take place more during a Church planting program. This is because peoples heart is always opened to the word of God more.
My prayer is that we will understand the great need for the gospel in our communities. I pray as a result of the Gospel proclaimed and lived out that we will see many more Churches started.
Church planting isn’t just; it’s ESSENTIAL
Rev. Dr. A.A Obe