Rev. Dr. A. A. Obe (JP)
January 31, 2021
THE SPIRIT OF GOD (HOLY SPIRIT)
TOPIC: THE SPIRIT OF GOD (HOLY SPIRIT)
TEXT: ACTS 1:8; 2:1-4.
MINISTERING: REV. Dr. A. A. OBE (JP)
DEFINITION: For the majority of Christian denominations, the Holy Spirit, or Holy Ghost, is the third person of the Trinity. The Triune God manifested as God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, each entity itself being God.
WHAT ARE SYMBOLS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN THE BIBLE?
1. DOVE: Luke 3:22; And the Holy Spirit descended, in a visible form, like a dove, upon him, and from the heavens came a voice–“ Thou art my Son, the Beloved; in thee I delight.”
This does not say that the Holy Spirit IS a Dove, it simply says ‘like’ a dove. The dove is specifically chosen because it shows us some truths about the Holy Spirit.
2. FIRE: Acts 2:3-4 “Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them.
VS: 4. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance”.
In contrast to a dove, the Holy Spirit is also a fire!
God does not ONLY use a dove to show us about the Holy Spirit, because there are many things that the Spirit is that are not seen in a dove. For this reason God has used more symbols. It is when we put all the symbols together, that we get a fuller picture of who He is.
3. WIND: Acts 2:1-4 “When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2) And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3) Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4) And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance”The Holy Spirit announced His arrival with a rushing mighty wind and with fire. This was not a natural wind: It was blowing INSIDE – it filled the house. This was not just done for entertainment purposes; it was a demonstration of the power of the Spirit.
John 3:8 says “The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”The wind is a force that cannot be controlled by man. People have tried to control the move of the Holy Spirit, but they cannot. Wind can be a gentle breeze or a strong overpowering force. It is an invisible force which has an effect upon the visible realm.
Wind is air in motion. Air is vital for life. The Spirit brings life.
4. WINE: Matthew 9:16, 17 “No one puts a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; for the patch pulls away from the garment, and the tear is made worse. 17) Nor do they put new wine into old wineskins, or else the wineskins break, the wine is spilled, and the wineskins are ruined. But they put new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.”Wine is a symbol of the Holy Spirit. In Acts 2, when the Holy Spirit was poured out, people said the Apostles and other disciples were “drunk”. Peter stood up and said, ‘They are not drunk, this is the Holy Spirit being poured out as Joel spoke about…’
Ephesians 5:18 says “And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit”.
Here he says in a sense, “Don’t be drunk on natural wine, but be filled with spiritual wine – the Holy Spirit”.
5. WATER: Isaiah 44:3 ” For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, And floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, And My blessing on your offspring”.
Also John 4:14 says “but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”John 7:37-39 “On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink.
:38 “He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.”
:39 But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified”.
Water is one of the most common symbols of the Holy Spirit.The Holy Spirit falls on people LIKE rain, He bubbles up inside, He flows out like a river – rivers are divers and varied – there are varied flows of the Spirit.
Water comes in so many different forms – mist, clouds, dew, a well, shower, rain, lakes, rivers, the ocean, floods. Water is used for cleaning, so the Holy Spirit cleanses. As water in the natural refreshes, quenches the thirst and gives life, so the Holy Spirit refreshes quenches spiritual thirst and gives life.
WHAT THE HOLY SPIRIT DOES IN OUR LIVES (PRIMARY THINGS)
1. He guides in to Truth about Christ
2. He directs your steps
3. He gives you spiritual gifts
(1 Corinthians 12:7-11).
4. He empowers you to proclaim His word (Acts 4:5-12).
5. He guarantees your hope for the kingdom of God (Heaven),
1. He anoints you for signs and wonder.
2. He protects and preserves you from powers of darkness.
3. He helps you in your prayer life.
4. He Grace you with the gift of longevity.
5. He creates for you open door in all things
1. Holy Spirit, BAPTISE ME in Jesus Name
2. Oh Lord, let your Spirit possess me by fire.
3. Holy Spirit by Your power, re-write my story in Jesus name.
4. By Your Spirit, Oh Lord, destroy every power setting me back in your service.
5. My father and my Lord, by Your Spirit, create in me the Spirit of commitment to serve You in Jesus name.
6. I receive Grace to work in the Spirit in Jesus name.
7. Thou Spirit of God, work with me in this year 2021 in Jesus name.