Rev. Dr. A. A. Obe (JP)
October 2, 2022
TOPIC: WHO IS JESUS?
TEXT: John 1:1-14; Matthew 16:13-19; Luke 19:1-10.
John 1:1-14 1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2. The same was in the beginning with God. 3. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. 6. There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. 8. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9. That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. 10. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11. He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13. Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Matthew 16:13-19 13. When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 14. And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 15. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16. And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 18. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Luke 19:1-10 1. And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho. 2. And, behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus, which was the chief among the publicans, and he was rich. 3. And he sought to see Jesus who he was; and could not for the press, because he was little of stature. 4. And he ran before, and climbed up into a sycomore tree to see him: for he was to pass that way. 5. And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house. 6. And he made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully. 7. And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be guest with a man that is a sinner. 8. And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord: Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold. 9. And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham. 10. For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
DEFINITIONS AND EXPLANATION: 1. The name Jesus is derived from the Hebrew name Yeshua/Y’shua, which is based on the Semitic root y-š-ʕ (Hebrew: ישע), meaning “to deliver; to rescue.”
2. The name can be said to be THE DELIVERER OF HIS PEOPLE – John 8:32; 2Peter 2:9 (John 8:32 – 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. 2Peter 2:9 – 9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
3. Jesus is regarded as the Incarnation of God. John 1:14 – (14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.)
4. He is the son of the most high God. Matthew 16:16 (16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.)
5. He is the great teacher. Mark 1:22 (22 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.)
6. He is the miracle working God. (Signs and wonders always follow Him). Acts 19:38- (38 Wherefore if Demetrius, and the craftsmen which are with him, have a matter against any man, the law is open, and there are deputies: let them implead one another.)
7. He is the lamp of God that takes the sin of the world. John 1:29 (29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.)
8. He is the saviour of the whole world (through His death on the cross). Luke 9:22 – (22 Saying, The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third day.)
9. He is the one that saves from SIN (via His blood that was shed on the cross and through the help of the Holy Spirit). 1 John 1:9 (9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.) Practical examples in the Bible of the works of Jesus: 1. He saved Zacchaeus. Luke 19:1-10 2. He saved the Man born blind. John 9:1-38 3. He saved the worst Sinner on the cross. Luke 23:39-43 4. He raised Lazarus from the dead. John 11:20-45 5. If He can save me, He can save you. Matthew 11:28-30; John 10:10; John 14:6. Matthew 11:28-30 – (28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.) John 10:10 (10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.) How? Confess your sins and forsake them. 1 John 1:9; James 5:16; Psalm 32:5 (1 John 1:9 – 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.) James 5:16 (16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.) Psalm 32:5 (5 I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.) Accept and confess Jesus as your Lord and saviour. Acts 16:31 (31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.) Totally surrender you self to the will of God through Jets Christ and follow Him. Luke 9:23 (23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.)
CONCLUSION: 1 JOHN 1:1-10 1. That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; 2. (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) 3. That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4. And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5. This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
CONFESS YOU SIN TODAY AND ACCEPT JESUS AS YOUR LORD AND SAVIOUR, AND HE WILL SAVE YOU!
REV DR. A. A OBE