Rev. Dr. A. A. Obe (JP)
June 19, 2022
TOPIC: WHY SALVATION?
TEXT: John 3:1-20; Roman 3:23-26; 5:5-8; 6:23; 1Peter 1:23
1. This can be said to be preservation or deliverance from harm, ruin, or loss.
2. Theologians said that Salvation is the Deliverance from sin and its consequences, believed by we Christians to be brought about by faith in Christ.
3. Salvation (also called deliverance or redemption) can also be said to be the “saving of human beings from sin and its consequences, which include death and separation from God” by Christ’s death and resurrection, and the justification following this salvation.
4. Salvation in the Bible means the new birth, which is a starting point of being a Christian. It is letting go of your carnal self and getting filled with the Word of God and the Holy Spirit (1 Peter 1:23)
Salvation is experiencing a new birth in Christ Jesus. Being born again is a conscious attempt to live according to the ordinances of the Scriptures. New birth means to abide by the divine guidance of the Holy Spirit about every aspect of your life.
The salvation of Christ is compulsory for every believer. It is the only way that you can live a purposeful life here on earth and also make it to heaven on the last day.
Salvation in Christ Jesus comes through repentance and faith. This means turning away from our sinful ways (repentance) and turning to God (faith), trusting in Christ. Jesus will forgive your sins and set you on a path to life with Him. We cannot earn this right, it is His free gift.
Types of Salvation:
1. Ingenuine Salvation
2. Genuine Salvation
I. Why is Salvation necessary?
1. Because of our trespasses and sin. Eph2:1-2
2. Because we were by nature children of wrath. Eph2:3
3. Because we love darkness and hate the light. John3:19-20
4. Because our hearts were hard like stone. Eph4:18
5. Because we were unable to summit to God and please God. Rom 8:7; John 3:5
6. We were unable to accept the Gospel. 1Cor2:14
7. Because we were unable to come to Christ and embrace him as lord. 1cor12:3
II. What to note
1. Whether you are saved or not, it does not stop the coming of Jesus.
2. Whether you are saved or not, it does not change the fact about hell.
3. Whether you are saved or not, it does not change the personality of Christ and His Father.
4. That you are saved is for your own good.
5. Your salvation is your key to eternity (it must be genuine).
6. Don’t forsake the house of faith (Church).
7. You must be born again.
Conclusion – Steps to Salvation
1. YOU MUST ACCEPT and ACKNOWLEDGE that you are a sinner, you cannot save yourself and that you need the help of the Holy Spirit to be saved.
2. YOU MUST BELIEVE IN YOUR HEART THAT ONLY JESUS CAN SAVE YOU- You need to believe that it is only by the blood of Jesus Christ that can wash away your sins.
3. YOU MUST CONFESS WITH YOUR MOUTH THE PRAYER OF SALVATION. This is when you profess with your mouth that Jesus should come into your life. Rom 10:10.
4. YOU THEN FORSAKE YOUR SINS AND START TO LIVE A CHRIST-LIKE LIFE- This is when you live according to the ordinances of the scripture. You become an express reflection of the Word of God through your ways of life.