Rev. Dr. A. A. Obe (JP)
January 4, 2022
WHO IS A RIGHTEOUS MAN?
TOPIC: WHO IS A RIGHTEOUS MAN?
TEXT: 2 CHRONICLES 7:12-14; PSALM 1:1-3; PSALM 112:1-10; JAMES 5:13-16.
2 CHRONICLES 7:12-14: 12 And the LORD appeared to Solomon by night, and said unto him, I have heard thy prayer, and have chosen this place to myself for an house of sacrifice.
13 If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people;
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
PSALM 1:1-3: 1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
PSALM 112:1-10: 112 Praise ye the LORD. Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD, that delighteth greatly in his commandments.
2 His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the upright shall be blessed.
3 Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endureth for ever.
4 Unto the upright there ariseth light in the darkness: he is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous.
5 A good man sheweth favour, and lendeth: he will guide his affairs with discretion.
6 Surely he shall not be moved for ever: the righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance.
7 He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the LORD.
8 His heart is established, he shall not be afraid, until he see his desire upon his enemies.
9 He hath dispersed, he hath given to the poor; his righteousness endureth for ever; his horn shall be exalted with honour.
10 The wicked shall see it, and be grieved; he shall gnash with his teeth, and melt away: the desire of the wicked shall perish.
JAMES 5:13-16: 13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.
14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
1. To be righteous is to be right in God’s eyes not in the eyes of other people.
2. A righteous person is one who in thought and conduct reflects his or her relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Living the life of Holiness, Righteousness, Purity, and Consecration.
God desires us to be righteous. Being a righteous person is a good thing in the eyes of God (Genesis 6:9).
Genesis 6:9: 9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
WHAT TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT A RIGHTEOUS MAN:
1. He does not seek the advice of the wicked (2Corinthians 6:14).
2Corinthians 6:14: 14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
(If you are saved, you seek counsel from true believers).
2. He does not work in darkness at all (1John 1:5-7).
1John 1:5-7: 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
3. He does not keep bad companies (1Cor.15:33; 2Cor.6:16).
1Cor. 15:33: 33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
2Cor. 6:16: 16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
4. He only delights in the things of God and always keep His commandments at all times (1John5:3; Joshua 1:8; Psalm 119:14,16,35).
1John5:3: 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
Joshua 1:8: 8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
119:14, 16, 35: 14 I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.
16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.
35 Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight.
5. He is an humble and prayerful person (2Chronicles 7:14).
2Chronicles 7:14: 14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
6. He is a fervent and prayerful person (James 5:16b).
James 5:16b: 16b and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
7. He is a word carrier and he is always fruitful in all things (John 7:38).
John 7:38: 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
WHAT TO DO TO BE A RIGHTEOUS MAN:
1. Make Jesus your Lord and Saviour (Salvation) – John 3:3
John 3:3: 3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
2. Always delight in the word of God (Try and know Him – God). (Psalm 119:11).
Psalm 119:11: 11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
3. Be far from sin (Psalm 1:1-2).
Psalm 1:1-2: 1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
4. Always put God first in your life before anything else (Matthew 6:33).
Matthew 6:33: 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
1. Enoch (Heb.11:5). – 5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
2. Noah (Gen. 6:9; 7:1). Gen. 6:9: 9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
Gen. 7:1: And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
3. Abraham (James 2:23). – 23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
4. Lot (2Peter 2:7-8) – 7 And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked: 8 (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)
5. Job (Job 1:8). – 8 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?
Are you a righteous man? Are you right with God or, are you right with man?
Ask yourself, which one is more important? Is it to look good before man or to be right with God?
Give your life to Jesus, He can help you.
Rev. Dr. A.A Obe