Rev. Dr. A. A. Obe (JP)
April 11, 2021
WHY DO WE ABUSE THE LOVE OF GOD?
TOPIC: WHY DO WE ABUSE THE LOVE OF GOD?
TEXT: JOHN 3:1-29; PSALM 86:11.
MINISTERING: REV. DR. A. A. OBE
SUNDAY 11TH, 2021.
1. ABUSE: This is the verbal rebuke or physical discipline that does not come out of love or is not controlled in keeping with God’s boundaries (Biblical definition).
Also, it is an action that intentionally harm or injures another reason. When you purposefully harm another person in anyway, you have committed an abuse. e.g. marital abuse, sexual abuse, physical abuse, psychological abuse, financial abuse, emotional abuse, and spiritual abuse.
One major reason people abuse others is because they want to be in control.
*You cannot control God
*The day you give your life to Christ, God takes total control of you(Alabaster).
2. LOVE: This is a deep and tender feeling of affection for, or attachment, or devotion to a person or persons – JOHN 3:16.
3. THE LOVE OF GOD: This talks about love for God or loved by God. This is associated with the concept of worship and devotion towards God. Another word is Theophilia = which means favor of God, and Theophiles = meaning friend of God. When we live for God and serve Him whole heartedly, it is said that the love of God is in us – AGAPE.
WHY CHRISTIAN ABUSE THE LOVE OF GOD
1. Nonchalant attitude, not taking things serious
2. Untruthfulness of life
(saying what is not true).
Ananias and Sapphira – Act 5:1-11.
3. Unthankfulness: Not being grateful or thankful. “In all things, give thanks” – 1 Thess. 5:18; Luke 12:16-21.
4. Unfaithfulness to God, Church and family. (Very important) – Revelation 2:8-11
5. Personal pride – (pomposity of heart) – Prov. 16:18.
6. Not taking church program/activities serious (always very busy) – Hebrew 10:25
7. Not accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and personal Saviour – JN 3:16; 2 Peter 3:9
A. 1 JOHN 5:14,
B. 1 JOHN 4:19,
C. JOHN 15:13.