Rev. Dr. A. A. Obe (JP)
July 10, 2022
GOD CAN STILL BLESS YOU
TEXT: 2 Samuel 6:11; Deuteronomy 28:1-14
2 Samuel 6:11 – 11.
DEFINITION: Blessing can be defined as
1. A special favour, mercy, or benefit.
2. A favour or gift bestowed by God, thereby bringing happiness.
3. The invoking of God’s favour upon a person.
Introduction: We are more familiar with the God of Elijah, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He is equally the God of Obed-Edom and the God that blesses and turns someone into a channel of blessings.
*2 Samuel 6:11 tells us about a man called Obed-Edom. He provoked divine blessings by accommodating the ark of God which represents the presence of God. The Ark was in the house of Obed-edom for three months and God blessed him and turned him to a channel of blessings.
Note: It is not the wages of a man that makes him rich or prosperous, but it is the blessings of the Lord, Proverbs 10:22 (22 The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.)
Who is the God Obed-Edom?
1. He is the God that gives financial freedom to his People.
2. He is the God that blesses His people without reservation. He blessed Obed-Edom and his household.
Prayer: In this remaining part of the year, the God of Obed-Edom will bless you and your household in Jesus’ name.
3. He is the God that can turn someone that is blessed to a Blessing or Channel of blessings.
4. Through Obed-Edom, members of his household were blessed abundantly
Prayer: I decree, for your sake, every member of your family shall be blessed abundantly in Jesus’ name.
Type of blessings and their prices:
1. Added Blessings. (These are blessings that come when we become sacrificial and faithful to God. e.g. King Solomon and the building of the temple) Matthew 6:33 (33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.)
2. Outpouring Blessings: This is the kind of blessings that comes when we are faithful in our financial commitment in the house of faith. e.g. tithing and offerings, even sowing.
Malachi 3:10-12 (10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts.
12 And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the Lord of hosts.) Blessings that comes for your sake. Example, Joseph’s blessings. (From the time that Potiphar made Joseph an overseer in his house and over all that he had, the Lord blessed the Egyptian’s house for Joseph’s sake and the blessing of the Lord was upon all that he had in the house and in the field)
*Genesis 39:5 (5 And it came to pass from the time that he had made him overseer in his house, and over all that he had, that the Lord blessed the Egyptian’s house for Joseph’s sake; and the blessing of the Lord was upon all that he had in the house, and in the field.)
3. Commanded Blessings: To receive commanded blessings, one must hearken diligently to the voice of the Lord) Deuteronomy 28:8 (8 The Lord shall command the blessing upon thee in thy storehouses, and in all that thou settest thine hand unto; and he shall bless thee in the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.)
4. Overtaking Blessings: This kind of blessings overtakes someone and change the story of that person completely e.g. Jabez and Obed-Edom. Deuteronomy 28:1-13
5. Inherited Blessings: This is the kind of blessing that is inherited by children and the unborn Generation. Genesis 35:12 (12 And the land which I gave Abraham and Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy seed after thee will I give the land.)
6. All round Blessings: This is the kind of blessings that can only come through Christ Himself, when we have fulfil our part of faithfulness to God in all things. Philippians 4:19 (19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.)
7. Uncommon Blessings: This can only come through sincere obedience to God’s instruction and acceptance to His will, not minding what may happen. e.g. Obed-Edom. 2 Samuel 6:11 (11 And the ark of the Lord continued in the house of Obededom the Gittite three months: and the Lord blessed Obededom, and all his household.)
Prayer: God will terminate dry season in your life from today, in Jesus’ name.
Conclusions: Prayer points
1. Father, like Obed-Edom, please bless me and command your blessings to locate me.
2. Let your blessings overtake me in this remaining six months in Jesus’ name.
3. Father, from today, make me a channel of blessings in Jesus’ name
4. Father, from today I proclaim an end to dry season in my life and family.
5. Oh Lord, I receive my financial freedom today in Jesus name.
6. My father, by faithfulness, I destroy every foundation of poverty in in my life, in Jesus name.
7. Oh Lord today, I command all round blessings to come my way by Christ Jesus, in Jesus’ name.
Rev. Dr. A.A Obe